Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Is there a word for this?

I'm prone to a specific, and comedic, speech error. Frequently, when I've got a word with two synonyms, I'll combine them into a nonsense word, or at least an irrelevant word--kind of like a spoonerism, where you reverse the first sounds of a word (a la Zummy Gummy from Gummy bears, who would "spast a kell" instead of "casting a spell."), except it's a short circuit in picking between two words. The one I do the most often is combining "might" and "may" into "mate," but it happens with other, more complex words, too.

Is there a word for this one?


( 16 comments — Leave a comment )
Nov. 26th, 2007 08:55 pm (UTC)
Off the top of my head, I can't remember, but I know that there is a word for this. I'll loook it up for you when I get home. It's a type of aphasia in which your brain doesn't pick between multiple words before your mouth starts making noise, and is closely related to the reason that I'll occasionally say completely messed up stuff when I think I'm saying one word and something totally unrelated is actually coming out.
Nov. 27th, 2007 12:47 am (UTC)
I love the word "aphasia," it's pretty :) I'd love to know the word, though. IT's one of those words I really need the word for.
(Deleted comment)
(Deleted comment)
(Deleted comment)
Nov. 27th, 2007 12:41 am (UTC)
It's related, particularly on the "slightly humorous" front :)
Nov. 26th, 2007 09:58 pm (UTC)
I think it's covered under a Metathesis or Malaprop, depending on the outcome.

Tex should have a book of my Malaprops by now. :)

Nov. 27th, 2007 12:46 am (UTC)
It'd definately be a metathesis. That seems like a higher-level catagory, though. Malaprop's not the same, that's a word-substitution (a tit bit nipply...)
Nov. 26th, 2007 10:19 pm (UTC)
Here is a long comment full of Brian Regan - Just for YOU!

I’m just trying to go through life without looking stupid. It’s not working out too well. Sometimes you’ll say the right thing but at the wrong time and feel stupid. Something like: “You, too!” I was getting out of a cab at the airport and the driver goes, “Hey…Have a nice flight!”

“You, too! You, too, you have a nice flight, too…in case you ever fly someday.” Don’t anybody look at me; I’m a moron. Don’t know when to say the “you, too” phrase. I can’t handle it.

I never learn. Like a waitress will bring my meal. “Hey, enjoy your meal.”

“You, too. But you don’t have one, do ya? I’m a dufus. If you do eat enjoy it when you eat it if you have a break or something, later. If you get an opportunity.” That’s all I’m trying to say. That’s all that I’m driving at. Really…if you think about it. That’s all. I don’t know what I’m saying.

Do you ever start to say something and in the middle of what you’re saying you decide to say something else completely? There’s already words out there. These friends were leaving the other day and I started to say “Hey, take care,” and I decided to say “Good luck” instead like half way through, so it came out neither.

“See you later, Brian.”

“Take…luck! Take luck and care. Take care of the luck. Good luck taking care of the luck that you might have…if you have luck, take it, care for it. TAKE LUCK CARE OF IN IT WHEN YOU TAKE LUCK CARE OF IN IT…[continues to yell nonsense words – lots of ‘em].” You’re sure to see them again.
Nov. 27th, 2007 12:42 am (UTC)
Heh. It's fun to degenerate into nonsense :)
Nov. 26th, 2007 11:49 pm (UTC)
I don't know if there's a name for it, but I do it too. I seem to do it more with phrases ("easy as pie" + "piece of cake" => "easy as cake") than individual words, though.
Nov. 27th, 2007 12:44 am (UTC)
Yah, muxed mitaphores, well familiar with those...
Nov. 27th, 2007 12:40 am (UTC)
I've heard it called spoonerism. There's a performer at Scarborough Faire called Zilch the Tory Steller who is quite good at it.

He tells stories like "Rindercella and the Stoo Tugly Epsisters," "Rittle Led Hiding Rood," and Spilliam Wakshear's "Jomeo and Ruliet."

He tends to stay away from things like "A Tale of Two Cities".... *lol*
Nov. 27th, 2007 12:44 am (UTC)
Spoonerism isn't precisely the same. Spoonerism is the reversal of initial word-sounds, but it's in the same family (a sort of metathesis of the word). Very similer idea, though--and I do spoonerisms, too, not as often, though.
Nov. 27th, 2007 03:35 am (UTC)
He tends to stay away from things like "A Tale of Two Cities".... *lol*

Also on the to-avoid list: Robin Hood. Or more specifically, his friend Friar Tuck.
Nov. 27th, 2007 03:36 am (UTC)
If you did it on purpose...
it would be a portmanteau word.
Nov. 27th, 2007 02:53 pm (UTC)
Re: If you did it on purpose...
Hmm...again, close, but does a portmanteau word tend to use near-synonyms, or is it simply a new word formed from two others? If that was a disorder, tho, it'd be pretty much what I'm looking for :)
Dec. 2nd, 2007 12:06 pm (UTC)
I pigeonholed a few linguistics-geek friends after we left your place last night, and all agreed that if you were doing this on purpose, linguists would call it a nonce blend. None were sure, though, what a cognitive psychologist would call the fundamental error that's happening in the brain, of which the blend is just the symptom.
Dec. 3rd, 2007 02:43 pm (UTC)
Interesting. Well, if it gets worse, I'll ask them to let me use "nonce blend aphasia" for a name then. Thanks!
( 16 comments — Leave a comment )