Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

It's 4:00 AM--

Do you know where your tax records are?

April is the cruellest month, if you're chronically disorganized. I thought I had all my important papers in a big tupperware box, but I seem to be missing one big one :( Unfortunately, I worked for a big corporation, so I'll probably have to call the home office to get this missing W2.

I have no idea why I'm awake right now, though.


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Apr. 13th, 2004 02:57 am (UTC)
I might be awake to eat leftover pizza, scan VCL for hyenacake, and go to work three hours early. Seems like a kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. If I did these things, does that mean that I was meant to do them, or in doing them, did I miss the Higher Purpose of waking up at three in the zarking morning?
Apr. 13th, 2004 04:46 am (UTC)
Fate, by definition, is unavoidable :?)
Apr. 13th, 2004 06:35 am (UTC)
W2s are lost regularly
Meet with your local HR droid today. They will arrange to have a new one sent to you. Also send out a request for an extension. Today. As long as the request for an extension is sent in before the 15th, the IRS will grant it automatically. This will give you 3 (6?) months to get the replacement W2. Make absolutely sure that your employer has your new address, otherwise the people at Pickman's Abby will get the W2, and chances are, they will throw it away.
Apr. 13th, 2004 09:17 am (UTC)
Re: W2s are lost regularly
Reaonably important note to the above:

Estimate what you think your missing W-2's effect would be on your taxes, and make sure to use that on the extension of filing deadline request. The IRS will charge penalties/interest on any amount of tax owed that was not paid by 4/15.

The best way to get that information: Call the company you worked for, ask for the payroll department, and ask them. You probably won't have to "estimate" anything, if you do it that way.

These days, most W-2s won't need to be sent to the IRS, since they're sent by your employer to the IRS already. If the IRS needs it, they'll just send you a letter asking for the form in a few weeks.
Apr. 13th, 2004 10:00 am (UTC)
OOh ooh Thanx for remindinng me :P
I almost forgot to file my sales taxes :P
Apr. 13th, 2004 10:30 am (UTC)
I guess i'm a lucky bastard who already filled out their taxes in February and gotten their refund back already (which was used to purchase my digital camera for TFC) ^^;;
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )